How to configure Google Analytics for your e-commerce store
Google Analytics is a very valuable tool in the domain of e-commerce, especially when it comes to marketing automation. It provides a chance to valuable insights on information pertaining to your website, the visitors and from where they have come. All these details and information can be used in order to look for new customers and to increase the rate of conversions.
For those were new to this domain, for them, Google Analytics might appear to be a bit confusing with wide varieties of reports and different types of information which can be difficult to understand and make a meaning out of.
In the following section of this article, you will be offered a brief Insight on how to setup Google Analytics for your E-Commerce Store. It will also give you an overview of the basic reports which were required to check and some other relevant information to enhance your knowledge.
Why is Google Analytics required?
In case of a physical Store, you have the chance to have a look at your customers. You get an opportunity to observe their behavioral patterns and communicate with them. Without the analytics mechanism in case of e-commerce, you would turn blind to different types of information pertaining to your customers and visitors who visit your website.
With the help of Google Analytics, you can understand in a better manner about how effective your marketing efforts have been and it also helps in marketing automation. It is very useful when it comes to understanding your customers and visitors and at the same time optimizes your store for sales and conversions.
Configuring Google Analytics for E-Commerce
The process of setting up Google Analytics is quite easy; however, the steps which are required to set it up will be dependent on the Shopping Cart. If you are using the Shopify platform, in that case, it would be as simple as making a new Google Analytics account, then copying the tracking code and then testing the code into the Google Analytics field which will find on your setting page.
Get a Google account: In order to get started, at first, you have to create a Google account. If you already have one, that case, you can use it. If you don’t have one then go ahead and create a new Google account. Then follow the following steps
- Go to Google Analytics and then click “The Create Account” link right at the top.
- After you have signed in to the Google Analytics action, you need to click on create a new account. This should help you set up a new profile in order to track the analytics of your e-commerce site.
- Go to the next screen, where you will be required to choose the website and then complete other details.
- In order to get the tracking code, you need to click on getting Tracking ID, which you will find at the bottom of the page.
- On the next page, you have to copy the tracking code which has been provided to you.
- Then you need to go to the settings by opening your Shopify store Admin. Then go to Online Store
- Then you need to paste the code which you have copied earlier from Google Analytics into the field where you are asked to.
- Once you have added the code to your site the next step would be to turn on the E-Commerce tracking in Google Analytics
- In Google Analytics, click on the admin option which is available on the menu right at the top of the screen
- Then with the help of the drop-down menu, select your account
- You then need to click on view settings which you would find under the third column.
- Then you need to scroll down to the setting sections of e-commerce and then click on the toggle to turn it on
- At the bottom of the page, you have a save option. Click on it.
There are certain reports in Google Analytics which you need to be familiar with. Here they are
- Real-time: This report would give you a clear picture; as a matter of fact, a real-time picture of what exactly has been happening on your site.
- Audience: In this report, you will find a detailed information on the type of visitors who have visited your site
- Acquisition: Through this report, you can get a clear understanding of how your customers and visitors found your site and arrived at it.
- Behavior: This report offers a detailed account of your site as a whole and what exactly the visitors have been doing.
- Conversions: This report gives you a clear idea about conversions and sales
- Audience overview: Through this report, you can get a clear idea about the total number of visitors, new as well as the returning ones. You will also get information on some of the most important metrics, like
- Sessions – It will let you know about the number of visitors sessions
- Users – The number of unique visitors who have been to your site
- Page per session – The average number of the page which were reviewed
- Pageviews – How many numbers of pages were viewed on your website
- Average session duration – How long-run average a visitor stayed on your website
- Bounce rate – The number of visitors we have left your website only after going through one page
- New users – The number of new users which have visited your website
Over the years, Google Analytics has turned out to be an indispensable tool, because of the wide range of features and benefits it has to offer. Marketing automation is one of its main benefits.